£55.00 each plus P&P
We are pleased to announce a further series of new Six-Wheel Milk Tank Wagons.
The series of United Dairies liveries is in four different variants, each with two different running numbers, for those that may wish to order a pair to run together.
- Precision engineered, (7mm to the foot) O gauge models
- Tinplate body construction with cast, spoked wheels
- Beautifully tampo-printed bodies
- Fitted with standard Bassett-Lowke/Ace style droplink couplings
- Insulated wheels for 2- or 3-rail use
- Suitable for minimum 24” radius curves
- Two running numbers per livery (whilst stocks last)
The price for these are £55.00 each plus P&P.
Quantities of each livery are extremely limited, and demand is likely to be high so do please place your orders early to avoid disappointment.
WJV01089 United Dairies GWR (SORRY SOLD OUT)
WJV01090 United Dairies LMS (SORRY SOLD OUT)
WJV01091 United Dairies SR
WJV01092 United Dairies LNER
If you're interested in purchasing this product please contact us using the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
All the ‘big-four’ railway companies carried milk traffic, the GWR had the largest share, followed by the LMS then the Southern, serving areas of Somerset and Devon and the Somerset & Dorset line. The LNER carried the smallest share, mainly milk produced in East Anglia.
Initially railway-hauled milk traffic consisted of wooden churns of milk, made up from staves held with iron bands (the same method as used for barrels) usually carried in vans attached to passenger trains or in the guard’s compartment. Following the rapid expansion of the traffic in the 1870’s purpose-built milk churn vans appeared attached to passenger trains and by this time the galvanised iron conical churn was the norm. These vans often had alternate planks ‘missing’ to provide a slatted appearance, allowing air to flow over the churns in transit to keep it cool.
Milk tank wagons on four-wheeled chassis arrived on the GWR and LMS in 1927, followed a year later by the LNER. The SR took up the idea in 1931.
The early tanks had a simple glass-lined (actually a vitreous enamel coating) barrel with no internal baffles, this resulted in the milk sloshing about inside the tank which degraded the milk and made the wagons unstable. Following a series of derailments, a six wheeled chassis was introduced around about 1931, which gave a smoother ride and six wheelers then became the standard chassis for all new milk tankers, although each company had its own design features. The last of the four wheelers were withdrawn in the late 1930s and six-wheeled tanks continued in production under British Railways into the early 1950’s.
Milk tanks were unusual in railway circles in that the underframe was owned by the railway companies, but the tank was owned by the dairy. Despite the fact that the underframe was owned by the railway company they were operated as private owner wagons. Thus, a United Dairies milk tank worked between United Dairies creameries and bottling plants etc. Pre-Nationalisation milk tanks were restricted to the lines of the railway company that built the underframe so that LMS built milk tanks worked on LMS lines etc. This restriction however was lifted upon nationalisation and so GWR built milk tanks could be seen in Cumbria, SR built milk tanks in Yorkshire, LNER built milk tanks in Southern England and LMS built milk tanks in Cornwall. It all depended on the dairy company who owned the tank.